Here we offer a step-by-step guide on how to create elearning scenarios for online education and training.
Creating engaging, informative, and effective elearning scenarios is a cornerstone of high-quality learning content. Scenario-based education and training content gives learners a chance to practise and explore outcomes in a risk-free environment, which enhances learning retention and application.
Crucially, scenario-based learning gives learners the psychological safety of using their knowledge and skills without fear of failure or embarrassment.
Step 1: Define Objectives and Goals
- Identify Learning Objectives: Clearly define what you want the learner to know or be able to do after completing the scenario.
- Map Scenario to Objectives: Ensure that the scenario is closely aligned with these objectives.
Step 2: Know Your Audience
- Demographics: Age, educational background, and job role of your audience.
- Experience Level: Tailor the difficulty and complexity of the scenario based on the learner’s skill level.
- Learning Style: Consider how your audience prefers to learn—via reading, listening, or doing.
Step 3: Choose the Right Tools
- eLearning Software: Tools like Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, or open-source solutions like Moodle.
- Multimedia: Software for creating audio, video, and animations.
Step 4: Create Content
a) Draft a Script
- Story Outline: Create an outline that includes introduction, complication, climax, and resolution.
- Dialogues: Write dialogues if the scenario involves characters.
b) Decision Points
- Identify Key Decisions: These are the critical moments where the learner has to make a choice.
- Consequences: List the immediate and long-term consequences of each decision.
- Informative Feedback: Provide insights on why a choice is correct or incorrect.
Step 5: Design Elements
- Characters: Create or choose avatars or characters to act out the scenario.
- Environment: Design the setting where the scenario takes place.
- User Interface: Design buttons, progress bars, and other UI elements.
Step 6: Develop Content
- Storyboarding: Create a storyboard that outlines each slide or scene.
- Content Creation: Use eLearning software to bring your storyboard to life.
- Media Elements: Add audio, video, or animations as needed.
Step 7: Integrate Interactivity
- Drag-and-Drop: Create drag-and-drop exercises that mimic real-world tasks.
- Hotspots: Use hotspots for exploration-based learning.
- Quizzes: Add quizzes at critical points to reinforce learning.
Step 8: Test the Scenario
- Functional Testing: Ensure all interactive elements work as intended.
- Content Review: Verify that the content meets the learning objectives.
- User Testing: Have a sample of your audience go through the scenario and provide feedback.
Step 9: Iterative Improvement
- Collect Feedback: From both experts and learners.
- Analyse Data: Use metrics to see where learners are struggling.
- Revise: Make necessary adjustments based on feedback and data.
Step 10: Deploy and Monitor Results
- Hosting: Upload the scenario to your Learning Management System (LMS).
- Launch: Make the content available to learners (having communicated well in advance that it’s on its way).
- Monitor: Use learning analytics tools within your LMS to keep track of learner data to assess the effectiveness of the scenario-based learning.
By following these steps, you’ll be well on your way to creating impactful elearning scenarios that not only engage your students or employees, but also effectively meet your most important learning objectives.